Student Lab Safety Contract
Bryn Athyn College
Course: Bio 122Bio 123Bio 210Bio 220Bio 235Bio 250Bio 373Chem 110Chem 111Chem 210Chem 211EnSci 105ESci 110Phys 210
Section (Room/Time): ampm
Instructor: Ed HigginsFredrik BryntessonMax BlairStella EvansGrace McMackinEugene PotapovKatelyn Miller
1. Horseplay, pranks, and acts of mischief are forbidden.
2. Follow instructions carefully and ask your instructor questions if you don’t understand.
3. Do not perform unauthorized experiments.
4. Do not touch materials in the lab without permission from the instructor.
5. Do not eat, drink, or chew gum in the lab.
6. Keep hands away from face, eyes, and mouth while using science materials, wear gloves as necessary, and wash hands with soap and water before leaving the lab. Remove gloves before using cell phones, working on laptops, etc.
7. Wear safety goggles and lab coats as instructed.
8. Keep the lab free of clutter. Put bags and extra belongings in cubbies or in the hallway.
9. Clean all work areas and equipment at the end of the experiment as indicated by the instructor.
10. Dispose of waste in the properly designated containers. Never pour waste down the drain or into the trash unless indicated by the instructor.
11. Report any accidents to the instructor immediately.
12. Do not touch or smell chemicals unless instructed to do so.
13. Do not remove chemicals, equipment, or supplies from the lab.
14. Handle glassware with care. Do not pick up hot or broken glassware with bare hands.
15. Use extreme caution when using matches, a burner, or a hot plate. Do not leave a lit burner or heated hot plate unattended. Turn off the gas when you are done with the burner.
16. Tie back long hair, do not wear dangling jewelry, and do not wear loose or baggy clothing. Shorts, short skirts, and sandals may not be worn in the lab.
17. Learn where safety equipment is located and how to use it (fire alarms, fire extinguishers, fire blankets, chemical fume hoods, safety showers, and emergency eye wash stations). Also know the location of the lab phone. Know the emergency evacuation route. In the event of a true emergency, dial 911.
I have read and understand the safety rules in this contract. I agree to follow these rules to ensure my own safety as well as the safety of others in the lab. I understand that if I don’t follow these rules, I will not be allowed to participate in lab activities.
Adapted from “Student Safety Contract” developed by Flinn Scientific, Inc. SRE 5/16/16
If you have questions about the contents of this document, you can email the document owner.
Document Name: Student Lab Safety Contract
Agree & Sign