The Swedenborg Library’s interlibrary loan system allows users to request books and articles from libraries across the US and Canada and have them delivered right to the Swedenborg Library for retrieval. All Bryn Athyn students and faculty may request books, articles, journals, and a variety of other print materials.
How to use Interlibrary Loan
The Swedenborg Library uses an electronic system to obtain interlibrary loan items. To use ILL:
- Create a userID and password for yourself in the ILL system. | Create an ILL account
- After creating an account you will be able to access ILL directly from the logon page. | ILL Logon Page
- Once you have logged in you can place requests online, edit or cancel requests, and track the status of your ILL items.
Please be sure to check the library catalog and, for articles, our online databases, JSTOR and Infotrac, and the individual journal’s web page to see if an item is available before requesting it via ILL. If you do not have easy access to a computer of your own, please feel free to ask the staff to help you with using a library computer to set up your account.
Guide to Interlibrary Loan
Setting up an Account:
- Create an account
- Read the FAQ page, then click the “First Time Users Click Here” button at the bottom of the page.
- Fill out the form on the next page. Please read the instructions carefully!
- When completed, click the “Submit Information” button at the bottom of the page. Then click the “Add Account” button on the next page.
- You will receive an email in the next few days to tell you if your account has been approved or rejected. If it is rejected, the email will tell you what needs to be corrected.
Placing an Interlibrary Loan Request:
- Logon to your account
- In the menu on the left, pick the option under “New Request” that best describes the item you want.
- Fill out the request as completely as you can and click “Submit Request” at the bottom of the page.
- You can check the status of your requests from your account page by selecting “Outstanding Requests” under “View.”
- If you made a mistake on your request, you can edit it until it is sent out by the ILL staff by selecting “Outstanding Requests,” then selecting the request number under “Transaction.”
Picking Up Items:
- You will receive an email when your items have arrived for pickup. You can also view all notifications you have received by selecting the “Notifications” option on your account page.
- Books will be held at the front desk of the library for pickup. If items are not picked up within seven days, they will be returned to the lending library and will not be reordered within the same term. Some items cannot be taken out of the library; this will be noted in the email.
- Articles will be delivered electronically. Select “Electronically Received Articles” on your account page, then click on the article. Articles are provided in PDF format, and can be printed or saved. Articles are deleted from your account page after 30 days.
Checked Out Items:
- Clicking on “Checked Out Items” in your ILLiad page will show you all books you currently hold, and their due dates.
- To ask for a renewal of an item, click on the transaction number of the item, then click on “Renew Request” at the top of the page. Renewal requests will only be accepted two weeks or less before the due date, and will not be accepted after the due date. Books which are overdue will not be renewed or reordered within the same term.
If you need to change either your contact information or your password, click on the appropriate link under “Tools” on your account page.
Requests placed via the catalog/ILink will no longer be accepted. Please place all requests through this page.
More information about ILL policies can be found by linking to the “FAQ” and “ILL Policies” pages under “About Interlibrary Loan” from your account page.