Registrar’s Office FAQ

Group study in the Swedenborg Library

When and how do I register?

First year students are required to meet with their advisor for all registration sessions. The registration portal on Sonisopens in a new window will be opened for upperclassmen during the designated registration weeks through the school year. View instructions regarding registration for classesopens in a new window.

I can’t register because there’s a hold on my account.

Students with financial or health record holds will not be able to register. Contact the office that placed the hold immediately. If you have a financial hold, visit the ‘paying your bill’ page.

How can I add a class?

Courses may be added during the first week of the term only (for that current term).

How do I drop a class?

Courses must be dropped through your academic advisor. Not going to class does not automatically remove you. Individual courses may be dropped (with no record on the transcript) through the 6th week of the term. A course dropped between the 6th and 8th week will result in a WP (withdraw passing) or WF (withdraw failing) as determined by the instructor.

Where can I find the exam schedule?

The exam scheduleopens in a new window can be viewed online, as well as on the bulletin board in front of the Registrar’s office.

Who is my advisor?

It is important that new students attend the orientation session prior to their term start to receive this important information. It can also be found in Sonisopens in a new window on the student bio page or at the Registrar’s Office.

How do I know if I got off a waitlist?

Placing yourself on a waitlist does not guarantee you a spot. It is crucial to check your school email often! You will receive an email from the Registrar notifying you that a spot has become available.

I need to withdraw, what do I do?

Any student wishing to leave the college completely must complete the withdraw process. This includes meeting with various people on campus before leaving and filling out the Intent to Withdraw formopens in a new window.

How do I print on campus?

Each term you will be provided with an account that is pre-populated with funds for printing. Many students find that this amount covers most of their printing requirements for a term. Additional funds may be added to your account at the College Office. All printing is done via a website: http://print.brynathyn.eduopens in a new window ; login with your network credentials and follow the steps to print.

I can’t connect to the network or the internet.

View the instructions for connecting to the network and the internetopens in a new window.

What’s my Sonis ID and PIN?

Sonisopens in a new window is the online student portal where students can check course schedule, grades, register etc. Your login credentials will be given to you during orientation. You can also obtain you login credentials at the Registrar’s office. If you forget your PIN there is a ‘forgot password’ function on the login page and an email will be sent to you directly.

Where’s my mailbox and what’s my address?

All students have an open mailbox, located in the Pendleton Hall student lounge. All resident students also have a locked mailbox for personal mail. The mailing address is:

Your Name
2945 College Drive,
Box 717 Bryn Athyn PA, 19009-717

Where can I pick up my packages?

The mailroom will hold all packages and confidential material (such as paychecks). The mailroom is located in the Pendleton Hall student lounge.

Student Records and Transcripts Questions:

How do I get my schedule?

The registrar will put a copy of your schedule in your mailbox for the first day of each term. Otherwise, you can access your schedule on Sonisopens in a new window.

How do I get my transcript?

An unofficial transcript can be printed directly from Sonisopens in a new window. An official copy should be requested in writing from the Registrar’s office. The Transcript Request formopens in a new window is available online or at the Registrar’s office.

What are the requirements for Dean’s List?

Students who take at least 11 academic credits and earn an average of 3.50 or better for the term earn Dean’s List. Courses graded as “P” do not count towards Dean’s List. Students with any Incompletes are not eligible that term.

How do I see my grades?

Grades will be posted in Sonisopens in a new window.

Will my parents get a copy of my transcript?

Transcripts will not automatically be sent to your parents. Students can request this at the Registrar’s Office.

What are student records?

Records maintained by the College that include, but are not limited to: transcripts (grades), exam papers, test scores, evaluations, financial aid records and loan collection records.

Will you talk to my parents about my grades?

No. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) states confidential information will not be released without written consentopens in a new window of the student. Student records and information falls into two general categories:

  • Public information, to which parents have access, and
  • Confidential information, to which third parties may have access only if the student signs an appropriate written authorization.

What exactly is FERPA?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) is a federal law that pertains to the release of and access to student educational records. The law, which seeks to protect the rights of students and to ensure the privacy and accuracy of education records, applies to all schools that receive funds under applicable programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education.

What information is considered to be public information?

Directory (public) information may be obtained without prior authorization. Each department, school, college, office, program, or entity which maintains records is required to give public notice of the categories of information designated as directory information. These units are not required to include all of the following, but may not designate as directory information anything more than:

  • Student’s name
  • Address
  • Email address
  • Telephone number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Dates of attendance
  • Class level (e.g. freshman, sophomore)
  • Enrollment Status
  • Major field of study
  • Degrees and honors received
  • Participation in official student activities
  • Name, weight, and height of intercollegiate athletic team members
  • Previous institution attended

For parents: I’m paying the tuition bills for my son/daughter, doesn’t this give me the right to have access to their student records?

No. FERPA states that the College will consider your son/daughter as an adult, regardless of age or financial dependence. Without his or her written consent you cannot access their academic records.

Major and Minor Questions:

When should I apply to a major?

Students should apply to a major by the end of their 5th term. All students must apply to a program by the first April after accumulating 50 credits. Students that do not apply by this time are not permitted to register for courses the following year.

How do I apply?

When and where is graduation?

Bryn Athyn College holds one Commencement ceremony each year in May. The ceremony takes place on the last Saturday in May at 10:00 AM. The ceremony is held at the Asplundh Field House, 2775 Buck Road, Bryn Athyn, PA.

Do I need tickets?

No. Tickets are not required for the commencement ceremony.

How do I get my cap and gown?

Cap and gowns will be ordered through the Registrar’s office – you will complete ordering details on the graduation application.

Are there other graduation events I should attend?

Yes. The day before graduation there will be a brunch (free of charge) followed by a rehearsal run through at the Asplundh Field House. Parents are encouraged to attend the brunch portion. That same evening there is a graduation dinner for graduates and their guests. A parent mailing will be sent out with details in April.

Is there a graduation fee?

Yes, the fee covers cost of diplomas, purchase of cap and gown, and the graduation dinner. The cost for 2017 is TBD. Graduates will receive specific details closer to graduation.

Can I graduate if I have a hold on my account?

A student may participate in the Commencement ceremony, but will not receive a diploma until they are in good financial standing. (Balance paid off or a payment plan is set up).

Graduation Forms