Types of Aid

Types of Aid

Financial assistance is available in many forms, and most students are eligible for one or more of the following types of assistance.

For an estimate of your financial aid, use our Financial Aid Calculator.

All students who are U.S. citizens or permanent residents and who wish to be considered for financial aid should file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The information provided in the application is used to calculate the applicant’s Expected Family Contribution (EFC), and accordingly, the student’s financial need. The student’s FAFSA information is used to determine eligibility for both government financial aid and institutional aid.

Federal Financial Aid

Bryn Athyn College participates in Title IV federal financial aid programs. Federal financial aid is not available to students who are not U.S. citizens or permanent residents.

  • Federal Pell Grants
    Pell Grants provide need-based grant aid, and are generally available to students whose Expected Family Contribution (EFC) is $5,235 or less, although final eligibility depends on individual circumstances. This year, grant amounts for full-time students range from $598 to $5,815. Pell Grants do not require repayment.
  • Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)
    FSEOG funds are awarded to Bryn Athyn College annually based on availability of federal funds. The College, in turn, awards the FSEOG funds as supplemental need-based aid to students who are eligible for federal student aid. Priority is granted to Pell recipients with the most financial need. FSEOG awards do not require repayment.
  • Federal Work Study
    Federal Work Study funds are awarded to Bryn Athyn College annually based on availability of federal funds. Students with demonstrated financial need may apply for part-time work on campus to assist with their education costs. Students in the Federal Work Study program are paid directly every two weeks unless they arrange with the Bursar to apply their earnings to their student fee accounts.
  • Federal Direct Loans for Students and Direct Parent Loans for Undergraduate Students (PLUS)
    The US Department of Education administers the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program. The program consists of Direct Loans for students and Direct PLUS loans for parents. Direct Loans for students range from $5,500 per year for first-year students to $7,500 per year for juniors or seniors, and offer low rates of interest with interest subsidies provided for needy students. Parents are able to borrow PLUS loan funds up to the cost of attendance of their child minus any other financial aid their child receives. Students who take Direct Loans generally do not have to begin repayment of the principal and interest until six months after graduation or withdrawal.

More information about these federally-funded grant or loan programs can be found online at the US Department of Education website, www.studentaid.ed.gov, or by calling 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). Literature published by the US Department of Education is also available from the College’s Financial Aid Office. 

Institutional Grants

Institutional grants from Bryn Athyn College are available when federal financial aid does not fully meet the student’s demonstrated financial need. FAFSA filers will automatically be considered for institutional grants; no additional application is needed.

Special Grants

There are several non-need based grants available for students in special categories:

    • The New Church Grant is a special tuition discount for students who are baptized into or who have a parent who is a member of one of the three recognized New Church organizations. The discount is $3,000 per year for tuition for a full-time student. The discount is reduced by half in the student receives a merit award.  In 2016-17, resident freshmen and returning resident sophomores who are eligible for the New Church tuition grant will also receive a New Church Housing Grant of $1,000.  In order to receive the discount(s), submit a New Church Grant Request Form online, or download the (PDF) and send it to the Financial Aid Office at Box 462, Bryn Athyn, PA 19009, or fax it to 267-502-2593. Contact the Financial Aid Office for clarification if you are unsure whether or not you are eligible.
    • The Faith Education Grant is a special tuition discount for graduates of faith-based secondary schools. The discount is $2,100 per year for tuition for a full-time student. Students receiving other merit scholarships from Bryn Athyn College are not eligible for this grant.
    • The Doering Fund Grant is offered to male Canadian students who meet certain eligibility requirements. Contact Rev. Jim Cooper for additional information.
    • The Southeast District Grant is offered to students whose permanent residence is in one of the states included in the United States Southeast District as defined by the General Church of the New Jerusalem, and who meet certain eligibility requirements. Write to the Southeast District Fund Committee at 11914 Chantilly Lane, Mitchellville, MD 20721 for additional information.

Some New Church societies offer private scholarships to students who are members of that congregation. Interested students should contact their society’s treasurer.

Work Study
All students may apply for part-time, on-campus employment, but priority for jobs is given to students with demonstrated financial need. Student workers are paid semi-monthly, and applications for student employment can be attained from the Human Resources Department:  ude.1488062625nyhta1488062625nyrb@1488062625dlefn1488062625esor.1488062625eener1488062625 | (267) 502-6038. Students who are given on-campus jobs may arrange to pay a portion of their tuition and fees via an automatic payroll deduction over the course of the school year.
PA State Grants
The Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA) offers state grants to students who are legal residents of Pennsylvania. To determine eligibility, complete the FAFSA by May 1 and respond to PHEAA’s request for any additional information. For more information, visit www.pheaa.org.
International Student Financial Aid

International students may be eligible for limited institutional grant funding. International students should submit an International Student Certification of Finances (PDF) to be considered for financial aid.

Tuition Remission
Tuition-remission eligible students must annually submit the Tuition Remision Form.
Tuition Prepayment Certificates
What could be a more important investment than a quality education? Tuition Prepayment Certificates (TPCs) help you save now for a child’s future education. This program allows you to set money aside for ANC Secondary School and Bryn Athyn College tuition throughout the course of your child’s lifetime. Because your TPC is invested, it returns interest and increases your original investment. For more information, or to purchase TPCs, please view the Tuition Prepayment Certificates brochure.
Private Loans
As required by the Higher Education Opportunity Act, Bryn Athyn College has adopted a Code of Conduct (PDF) to describe our expectations of integrity while working with students and private lenders.
Disbursements and Credit Balances

Bryn Athyn College operates on a trimester system, so financial aid is disbursed in thirds. Federal aid, including grants and loans, is disbursed during the fourth week of each term.

Students with a credit balance on their accounts (shown in parentheses on billing statement) will receive a check for the amount of the credit balance approximately 10 days after aid is disbursed.